Concept Art Job Security?

      "When this circuit learns your job, what are you going to do?"

-Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Massage

    Can a circuit learn to create complex, compelling art? Can a circuit craft theme within the roofs and gables of the design of a home? Can a circuit imply message in a fictional culture's iconography? Can a circuit define what a culture deems acceptable behavior in the very stitching of the clothes that its people wear?

    To create a world and a people where they do not exist is something that can be done theoretically by a circuit, and is done to an extent... but to create a realistic, believable world that pushes storytelling forward is something that requires human input.

EGX 2014 Dragon Age Inquisition Art Panel: Cultures, colors, and iconography, Various Artists

    What can you say about each culture, just based on these images? Can you tell that the second row down, Orlais, is fantasy a nation heavily inspired by French Baroque architecture? Probably. What does that tell you about their culture? One of extravagance and opulence, certainly. The name alone fits that theme.

Portrait of Louis XIV by Hyacinthe Rigaud, 1701

    The fourth one down is less based on our world and history, but it is in this respect that I love it all the more. Tevinter.

EGX 2014 Dragon Age Inquisition Art Panel: Tevinter Art Design, Various Artists

    What can you say about these people? A lot, actually. Harsh lines and angles, dark colors; excess materials and metals are used to lend to an illusion of wealth, power, and above all, intimidation. None of this is based on history, but on careful and conscious image design - intent behind artistic movement. Dragon Age is my favorite fantasy universe, primarily for all the rich concept art that exists for it. But this isn't a post for me to gush over that. This is supposed to be about me.

   I'd like to say that a background in anthropology can help me here, but I don't know if it would. My experience in digital art is lacking - traditional, pencil/charcoal black and white is where I've always found a home. But what has always inspired me, enchanted me, is concept art - art created to develop theme, narrative, design, mechanics, and character in films, TV, and video games. 
    
    Why this post, as an introduction to me? I define myself by my interests - my hyperfixations, my art. The best way to explore who I am is to explore my purpose and inspirations. 

Resonance Cascade by Nicole Bacher, 2020

    Video games and concept art are my greatest love. I'd like to be able to contribute to these worlds someday. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Only time will tell. The one thing I do know, is that a circuit could never do my job for me.




    

Comments

  1. Videogame concepts take so much more thought than people realize. It take so much more work than people realize to successfully be able to suspend people's belief with your designs, especially in the medium of videogames. I love learning about videogame theory and design, and I'm excited to see what sort of things you post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree and think you’re art style is really cool. I am also interested in video game design and believe that gaming artist deserve even more pay and recognition.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts