[Journal 4] Ed Ruscha's Paintings

 I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about Ed Ruscha and seeing his work. I find it uniquely appealing to my particular aesthetic; my love for graphic design attracted me initially to his work, and I really had a very hard time choosing just 10 images to cover in my presentation. Since I could only do so many for that presentation, I can show off some other pieces that I really liked and found interesting here that didn't quite make the cut for the presentation.

Psycho Spaghetti Western #6 (2010)
I didn't include this one for multiple reasons, though I really wanted to. For one, I kind of saw it as being a little bit of a harder one to interpret, because, well, I'm still kind of confused about the meaning. I'm not quite sure as to why it's titled what it is, or to what it means exactly. But what I do know is that the execution of this particular piece is absolutely incredible - looking at the details up close, you can really admire Ruscha's talent and dedication to capturing reality. 

Another reason why I didn't include this one, however, is that it didn't have the same graphical quality that the other works did, and that I felt I already included a piece which showcases his skill in recreating labels and logos (Actual Size).
Gilded, Marbled, and Foibled (2011-12)
This piece doesn't contain any text, but I really wanted to include it just because it's absolutely incredible. I was legitimately unsure as to if this was a painting or some sort of sculpture when I first saw it. This particular piece was a part of an exhibition dedicated to books, which you can see a video of here, along with some more information.


Anyway, obviously I have a lot more to say on his works, but I'll leave that for the presentation. I just really appreciate his skill and vision, and if you find any of his pieces at all interesting you should absolutely check him out - he's made so many different works, in so many different mediums and on so many different subject matters, I think that there's something in his work that will appeal to everybody.

Comments

  1. I really like the 'Psycho Spaghetti Western', you point out these details so well. Very very small and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this blog post! I liked that you chose an artist who fit your "aesthetic"

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is indeed interesting work! Thank you for sharing all the recourses! the Psycho Spaghetti Western series has all the leaning floor, that's special and I also don't know how to interpret the significant of putting the floor as slope. How do you feel?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts